As you may have noticed, Lee Child’s novels tend to come out on top of the New York Times Best Sellers’ List and his recent Reacher novel, Worth Dying For, is no exception. In fact, Worth Dying For made the list on the 29th of October taking the number one spot, held it for a second week and is still in the top ten now.
Lee Child is the pseudonym of British crime writer Jim Grant. Born in 1954, Child was born, raised and educated in England. He went to the University of Sheffield to study Law but upon graduating took a job as presentation director at Granada Television where he spent 18 years. After being fired in 1995, due to corporate restructuring, Child began his writing career. His first novel, Killing Floor the first of the Jack Reacher series, was published in 1997. In the summer of 1998 he moved to the US. He currently lives between his Manhattan apartment and country home in France. In November 2008, Child took up a Visiting Professorship at the University of Sheffield and in 2009 he funded 52 Jack Reacher scholarships to the university.
According to Wikipedia, Child’s inspiration for his main character’s name came about because
he is himself tall and, in a supermarket, his wife Jane told him: “Hey, if this writing thing doesn’t pan out, you could always be a reacher in a supermarket.”… “I thought, Reacher — good name.”
Bibliography: The Jack Reacher Series
- Killing Floor (March 1997) (Anthony Award & Barry Award winner, Dilys Award & Macavity Award nominee)
- Die Trying (July 1998) (WH Smith Thumping Good Read Award winner)
- Tripwire (June 1999)
- Running Blind/The Visitor (published as The Visitor in the UK and Australia) (April 2000)
- Echo Burning (April 2001)
- Without Fail (April 2002) (Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award & Dilys Award nominee)
- Persuader (April 2003) (Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award nominee)
- The Enemy (Prequel, occurs before Killing Floor) (April 2004) (Dilys Award nominee)
- One Shot (April 2005) (Macavity Award nominee)
- The Hard Way (May 2006)
- Bad Luck and Trouble (April 2007)
- Nothing to Lose (March 2008)
- Gone Tomorrow (April 2009)
- 61 Hours (March 2010)
- Worth Dying For (September 2010)
For more detailed information about the character, Jack Reacher, and the specific plots of each Reacher novel follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher
The author’s official website is www.leechild.com where you can find novel covers, synopses, reviews and extracts along with a lot of other interesting multimedia stuff.