Whatever Jodi Picoult writes these days goes straight to the top of the New York Times Best Sellers’ List. Her latest offering, House Rules, is no exception. Picoult’s novels intrigue me (and everyone else) because she goes where others may not want to go. She seeks out life situations without easy answers, those situations in which we hope we will never find ourselves or never have to face as a bystander. A good example of this but not the only one is that of My Sister’s Keeper which was an incredibly popular and poignant novel and was later made into a feature film.
Jodi Picoult (pronounced pee-KOE) was born in Long Island, New York on the 19th May 1966 but moved to New Hampshire when she was 13 years old where she currently lives with her husband and 3 children. While studying writing at Princeton University she had two short stories published in Seventeen magazine. Since her graduation she has had various jobs within the writing field: text book editor, technical writer for a Wall Street brokerage firm, copywriter at an ad agency, written 5 issues of the Wonder Woman comic book series for DC Comics in 2007 and has worked as a high school english teacher after which she went to Harvard to complete a Master’s degree in Education.
Some of Picoult’s favourite authors include; Jo-Ann Mapson, Anita Shreve, Ann Hood, Amy Tan, Diana Gabaldon, Jacquelyn Mitchard, Sara Donati, Susan Isaacs, Elinor Lipman, Chris Bohjalian, Ann Tyler, and Jane Hamilton although I have been led to believe her absolute favourite is Alice Hoffman.
- 2003 New England Bookseller Award for Fiction
- Alex Award from the Young Adult Library Services Association
- Book Browse Diamond Award for novel of the year
- Lifetime achievement award for mainstream fiction from the Romance Writers of America
- 2007 Cosmopolitan magazine’s ‘Fearless Fiction’ Award
- Waterstone’s Author of the Year in the UK
- Vermont Green Mountain Book Award
- Virginia Reader’s Choice Award
- Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award
- Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Award
- Songs of the Humpback Whale (1992)
- Harvesting the Heart (1993)
- Picture Perfect (1995)
- Mercy (1996)
- The Pact (1998)
- Keeping Faith (1999)
- Plain Truth (2000)
- Salem Falls (2001)
- Perfect Match (2002)
- Second Glance (2003)
- My Sister’s Keeper (2004)
- Vanishing Acts (2005)
- The Tenth Circle (2006)
- Nineteen Minutes (2007)
- Wonder Woman (vol. 3) #6-10 (cover date: late May 2007 – August 2007)
- Wonder Woman: Love and Murder (2007) (hardcover volume collecting Wonder Woman #6-10)
- Change of Heart (2008)
- Handle With Care (2009)
- House Rules (2010)
Please go to Picoult’s official website for more information. You will find very interesting interviews with the author which will without a shadow of a doubt reveal more to you about Picoult than I have done here!